Harley Davidson Will Face Class Action Over Hot Engines

A defective products class action lawsuit against Harley Davidson, filed by four bikers who allege their Harley Davidson motorcycles were defectively designed, can go forward.

The class action lawsuit claims that the Harley Davidson engines run so hot that they pose a constant danger to riders in that the engines cause burns and are therefore not fit for their intended use.

The complaint alleges that since 1999, Twin Cam 88, 96, 103 and 110 cubic inch engines in Harley motorcycles produce severe, excessive heat causing clothing to catch on fire, burn injuries and the danger of burn injury to riders and passengers as well as overheating causing premature engine wear and in models manufactured after 2006, transmission failure.

Although Harley Davidson asked the Eastern District of California court to throw out the claims under state law, a U.S. District Judge sided with the bikers. The recent ruling allows the case to move forward, and Harley Davidson will now face Class Action Certification process at the end of the month.

155 Comments on Harley Davidson Will Face Class Action Over Hot Engines

1. Anonymous // May 17, 2016 at 11:16 pm //

Bunch fucking pussy boy….they are probably fighting for the right to piss in the ladies room too

2. Anonymous // May 17, 2016 at 11:33 pm //

I have an 04 ultra with 108,000 miles premature wear? I guess I am not seeing that.

3. Anonymous // May 17, 2016 at 11:48 pm //

Well u can tell noones ever rode a shovel or ironhead either could roast dinner on a short ride but that’s an air cooled v twin deal with it or ride something easier on yans

4. I agree, especially when the dealer tells me to change pipes and buy a tuner. What crap is that, they should have done that before they sold it, of course than it would not be sold in California. Lucky for me, I still have my EVO 80 cu in, I live in Florida and it is too hot to ride my 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (and it is for sale)…

5. Mine was hot because of the catalytic converter ans set to run lean for emissions, the gooberment is to blame!

6. Buy a Gold Wing ….Yellow one !!

7. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 12:26 am //

Never had a problem with my 103 Softail.

8. My leg has 3 scars from burns from my Harleys. I seem to drink beer and work on them. I wear shorts while fixing on them. Burn my legs when rolling back into the garage. It don’t bother me. I love it. Ride safe all.

9. Are you guys living in caves? Do you not know anything about how poorly designed these twin cams are? Do a little research first before you condem.

10. james Cashwell // May 18, 2016 at 12:49 am //

grow a set,or get a life,coz You sure as hell don’t belong on a Harley!!

11. David Johnson // May 18, 2016 at 1:11 am //

Welcome to the new breed of “Harley Rider” where riding a motorcycle is a lifestyle accessory instead of a lifestyle. been seeing them come out of the woodwork for quite some time now.

12. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 2:03 am //

Sissies

13. kenn lynes // May 18, 2016 at 2:31 am //

Crybabies,go back to riding your hondas

14. Larry Watkins // May 18, 2016 at 2:48 am //

When I first picked up my Harley Electra Glide 110 from Van Nuys Harley Davidson, the sun was out and it was hot. I got about 10 miles on the fwy when traffic stopped. As I sat there, the engine got hotter and hotter. My legs started burning up from the heat. Been that way since when it gets hot outside. Harley says can,t do anything about it.

15. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 2:50 am //

if the complainants are guys I bet they have what I call douche (man)buns

16. David Akers // May 18, 2016 at 2:54 am //

It’s an air cooled engine. It needs air blowing across the fins to cool. If your sitting ,stopped in traffic, turn the bike off!!!.

17. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 2:59 am //

Tell the sooks to by a Honda.

18. Leslie Ober // May 18, 2016 at 3:02 am //

50,000 miles on MY OWN Harley Davidson! This little short Grandma burned her legs several times but hey it is what it is. Move your leg, it reminded me! SO suck it up butter cup sorry you have sand in your va jj..

19. Jeremy Crecelius // May 18, 2016 at 3:04 am //

split lanes laws help here all states should allow us to split lanes

20. john moon // May 18, 2016 at 3:13 am //

Now if they wore leathers….not an issue…gets hot but no burns…..air cooled motors need air flow…not sitting outside Starbucks revving while drinking their Lattes/Frapacinos. Does this mean all manufacturers have to face court cause their exhausts get hot as well?

21. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 3:15 am //

Hard f****** believe sitting over the top of f***** engine thought it would get hot. If you would like to ride a bike that doesn’t get hot get one with f****** pedals.

22. WTF is up with these inbred dumbass numbnuts????? I bet you are some of the idiots that use girly bathrooms..I have a 14 Limited with 21000+ miles & no problems.. go get pedals,,,sfb

23. In reading the lawsuit I think it is more than burning the Latte Legs. It has to do with HD knowingly make a defect in the motor causing it to run hotter than normal causing premature failure with the motor and transfer.

24. of coarse you cant help stupid its the same on any air cool engine bike manufactured now that the federal goverment has put emission requirements on them it has contributed to the overheating

25. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 3:43 am //

Harley riders are always spouting out some crap about how “you need to ride it differently” or “it’s a Harley, you gotta understand…” Fact is, it’s a crappy design. Water cooled engines have been around for freaking ever and Harley’s stay the same so executives can profit for your poor buying decisions. I had a Harley for 7 years and I sold it because it was a peice of junk. Loud, yes. Cool, yes. Dependable and comfortable… No. I blow past Harley’s every weekend on my modern motorcycle and leave them to their underpowered, dangerously unmanuverable, money eaters. I so thankful someone finally got these guys into court. They deserve it.

26. nick hill // May 18, 2016 at 4:07 am //

Come on really you liberal asses you should not even be on a bike, I have own metric and now own Harley. I have burnt my leg on both its a fact of life and if you are complaining about the heat of an engine you should ride in a cage then.

27. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 4:09 am //

You fucking pussys can’t handle it buy a pussy jap bike or grow some balls and be a man and ride a mans bike.

28. Loren B. // May 18, 2016 at 4:12 am //

I love my Harley, I’m in Phoenix, and ride on the hottest days… no problem.

29. Robert Jolly // May 18, 2016 at 4:14 am //

How do you fined out who to get ahold of for this

30. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 4:16 am //

Fucking sooks

31. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 4:47 am //

EITMS is a feature on the newer Harleys.

32. VTX BABY

33. AmericanMadeWithoutTheLeaks // May 18, 2016 at 5:03 am //

The only thing I can say here is …Why pay out 30-40k for a bike that says Harley Davidson whats American about it?? where do all those parts come from? I have a Honda VTX Yes made right here in Marysville, Ohio, is mine still a :Rice Burner”? I just call it a “HARLEY KILLER”

34. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 5:22 am //

VTX a Harley Killer my ass!Just another metric turd owner talking shit. You obviously have never owned or rode a modern Harley. My stage IV 117 bagger would run past you like your tied to a stump!

35. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 5:23 am //

Face it. Harley’s suck, then blow a lot of hot air. Just like their owners. Ha ha ha!

Harley owners suck and blow.

Ha ha ha ha!

36. I did’t know that Harley’s guys have bigger ball because them ride one , or maybe because them to small , and them need a harley to compensate for that . Man I ride a Vtx 1800 I love any bike , but thinking you are more of a man because you onw a Harley is f@$@@ joke ,

37. Greg Coppes // May 18, 2016 at 5:27 am //

My 08 Ultra ran so hot it was unrideable on a day when the outside temp was above 80 degrees. Put a stage 1 on it a couple of slip on’s
    and a race tuner. Cooled it down. It’s not the design it’s the Government regulations.

38. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 5:29 am //

Face it you wanted a Harley but your job at McDonald’s would only let you buy a Honda. Now you get no pussy or respect. Ha ha ha ha!

39. Retards. All of em. Anyone remember the AMF era? LOL. You couldn’t even buy parts that fit! Loved every minute of it!

40. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 5:32 am //

So owning a Harley makes you less of a man??? Your statement is invalid sir.

41. Barry Hodder // May 18, 2016 at 5:46 am //

What a joke the fucking sooks they need a vespa they like the wind in there vagina

42. Jeffabilly // May 18, 2016 at 6:37 am //

What a bunch of pussies. I have been riding for over ten years and have hundreds of mile under my belt on a different Harley’s with one burn on my right calf. It took one time for me and have never done it again. Don’t wear shorts and fip-flops morons! I guess “common sense” is not so common!

43. Riding an Iron 883 for an year now, In Israel it gets extremely hot in the summer but I never had any burns or injuries. like they say “if you can’t stand the heat stay the fuck away from the kitchen”

44. hmmm…. none of my air cooled jap bikes never got overly heated up… but i do have a few friends who own Harleys and they complain about it all the time? well a piss poor design and fairing mainly lowers blocking air flow will over heat especially in traffic… i hear them pigs cutting one cylinder all the timecin traffic while my water cooled wing just purrs totally enclosed in Tupperware not overheating

45. Only bike I ever burnt myself on was a Suzuki, just once and never again, learnt from that one time! Got a Harley now n had it for years with no problems. Just a bunch of money grabbing chicken shit pussies ! FFS man up !

46. Ed "The Reaper" Thompson // May 18, 2016 at 7:50 am //

I personally don’t give a shit what you ride. It’s matter of choice. I have had as my first bike a Honda 185 Twin Star. It ran hot and would burn the fuck out of you. I have also had a Honda 554. It ran hot and would burn the fuck out of you. I have had a Yamaha 650 V-Star, 09 HD Heritage Softail Classic “99”, and now I have a 10 HD Tri Glide “103” I have never had a problem with them. If you worry about the heat and can’t take it put an oil cooler with a fan on it if one is made for your model.

47. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 9:06 am //

well I see ppl calling ppl name who the dum ass the oines who r calling out the bikers that have the class action YOU GUYS R BUNCH OF BULLYS

48. I have been rideing Harleys longer than most you been born.you don’t know anything bout a bike if you start with a jap and now still ride a jap bike.young and dumb ass likes his cb1200 shit ? you should go to a Honda page and just stay there,cause you have no bitness talking bout what u don’t no. 51 pan and 86 softail…

49. A bunch of yuppies pussy’s you have an engine between your legs what do they expect AC

50. Aphro D // May 18, 2016 at 10:24 am //

Stock Harleys are agricultural and have limitations. To overcome those limitations you have to buy toys to improve them.

Caveat emptor
    If you bought a Harley without researching first and then you find you’ve got your own BBQ going on below your crutch, you’re a moron, but hopefully not enough of a moron to buy another one that does the same thing at a later date.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING, sounds as gorgeous as a Harley and it has a proud history. But like most products in the world, economics get in the way and companies have to farm out their work to other countries and if bosses take their eye off the ball, shit happens.

Give me a classic bike or classic car any day. They may be quirky but that’s what being an individual is all about.

However, we’re all bikers. Celebrate the fact.

51. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 10:37 am //

If you’re feeling the heat you’re riding to slow.

52. doug barkhouse // May 18, 2016 at 10:41 am //

i have a 2000 road king with 85000 miles never burnt my self once
    if they dont like the bike stay the hell off it was a mans bike and still is

53. Damn son of bitches! These four guys are pussies! Absolutely bullshit pieces of shit they are!

54. They are called free Harley Tattoos when your engine or pipes gives you a kiss. It reminds you to not do that again. Here’s your sign dumb ass!

55. neil chelnik // May 18, 2016 at 11:45 am //

Thats the new class of bikers , next they will want air conditioning installed

56. Gary York // May 18, 2016 at 11:51 am //

My daughter has been riding since 1 and 1/2 in a sidecar she got her first got a burn when she was 3…..She calls it her tattoo

57. JAMES MOSLEY // May 18, 2016 at 12:14 pm //

The government is making all the new bikes run leaner witch in return causes them to run hotter!!! so to get them to run cooler you have to buy a fuel module to get more fuel but that breaks the EPA standards so its a catch 22!!! just saying love my Harley so change the laws on standards or stop Bitchen!!!! HARLEY IS HELD BY GUIDE LINES

58. Man if you dont expect a air cooled engine to get hot then you have no idea, do they get hot hell yea but I have never been burned by it. I love my hog would never go back to jap scrap, hogs are real machines.

The law suit is bullshit.

59. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 12:29 pm //

First stop picking on other bikes 2 learn how to spell buy not by, the problem is the court system for letting these idiots go forth with this lawsuit, just like the four guys the courts need to grow some balls too and tell these babies to grow up and get a life (engine gets hot really) that’s a new one maybe if they stop wearing shorts and flip flops they won’t get burnt

60. Wow… big twins run hot… who’d have thunk it? I think HD should buy back all the plaintiff’s bikes and replace the with mopeds.

61. Charles Adams // May 18, 2016 at 12:44 pm //

This is what happens when four pussies get together with money grabbing lawyers and liberal dip shit judges. Wish they would just buy a Honda and ride off into the sunset, leaving the rest of us to enjoy the motorcycles of our choice.

62. fndrbss // May 18, 2016 at 12:45 pm //

Welcome the new breed of “motorcycle enthusiasts”. Pansies…

63. When you buy an air cooled harley you know you are buying an engine from 1935 design. You know that all stock Harleys are Crap and you need to spend enough to buy another buy to make it work right. That is a harley. Archaic and junk. But that is it. Don’t expect victory quality

64. hahaha…we’ll it’s harleys design/technology that causes the heat. Their cylinders are in-line. The rear cylinder is exactly in-line with the front which means the rear cylinder only gets hot air from the front cylinder which means the rear cylinder runs hot. Its physics…plain and simple. Why do you think they sell fan kits for harleys? Metric v-twin cylinders are off set aand not directly in-line w each otherso the rear cylinder gets cooler air than the harleys. If you say your harley doesn’t get hot Its a lie…they ALL do…that why they sell heat shields to go over the covers. Its not rocket science

65. Hezakiah // May 18, 2016 at 1:03 pm //

Maybe they should have stuck with their driving a Prius if they didn’t realize right off that a combustion motor between your legs will feel a bit warm LOL

66. never had aproblem on my vstar nor on my present bike triumph america guess it’s a problem for those riding harley davidson tractors they are all the same shite thats why the triumph thunderbird is now the no 1 across the atlantic slowly a lot of you over there seeing common sence and buying a proper motorcycle instead of a downgraded agricultural farm tractor they aint popular over here in blighty cos we have enough of em on four wheels lol.

67. I have a 2011 tri glide and it get so hot I can’t ride with my foot on the floor board but that’s the nature of a Harley.

68. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 1:26 pm //

Newsflash: All engines run hot !! That’s why it’s called an internal COMBUSTION engine. Don’t touch it and dress appropriately, problem solved.

69. Been Riding a Harley Davidson for over 30 years. Its easy to Say a Harley Davidson is Junk when you wished you owned one.But you Dont.So STFU!!!! THESE YUPPIE PUSSY WANNABEES WITH LAWYERS IN THIER POCKETS! GO PUT A TAMPAX IN YOUR CUNT, ITS BLEEDING!

70. Been Riding a Harley Davidson for over 30 years. Its easy to Say a Harley Davidson is Junk when you wished you owned one.But you Dont.So STFU!!!! THESE YUPPIE PUSSY WANNABEES WITH LAWYERS IN THIER POCKETS! GO PUT A TAMPAX IN YOUR TWAT, ITS BLEEDING!

71. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 1:50 pm //

Buy a Polaris dumbass and stay off our bikes

72. I can say,honestly,that I’ve “ridden the alphabet”,of bikes,from Ariel,to Zundap.
    I’ve owned Harleys,Kaws,and now a 1200 Goldwing.
    Loved some,and hated some,from pure preference.
    My 2 favorites,are the ’56 80cid hardtail,w/reverse…..an ex police bike, and the 1200 Goldwing I now have.
    The people ,in this lawsuit,are,more than likely guys that wanted the status of having a Harley,and like the 2 fellas I saw,yesterday,probably wore t-shirts shorts,and tennis shoes,or sandals.
    They stopped for coffee,and the first thing I heard,was”Man, my legs got burned!”Well,….DUH!
    Can’t fix stupid!
    EVERY air-cooled bike I’ve ever owned was hot!
    That’s why they make chaps,or long pants !
    So,the best defense,in this lawsuit,is to ask them:
    A: Have you owned one,before ?
    B: How long have you been riding?
    C:WHAT WERE YOU WEARING ??
    Though I tease my HD friends,and they tease back,….we’re RIDERS,not wanna-be’s !

73. Droopie Dawg // May 18, 2016 at 2:53 pm //

While I haven’t been able to ride for going on a couple of years now which will be changing as soon as I finish putting her back together, I must say yes, the twin cam 88 runs hot. So what? I have a neat little burn mark on my right calf from simply idling it out to the shop before I tore her down for repairs. I thought that is was simply a mark showing a right of passage into riding and repairing my Hog. I for damned sure never even had an inkling of a thought in suing Harley Davidson. Hell, I couldn’t even hold my head up in public from the sheer mortal shame of knowing I had been a part of some lame lawsuit.

74. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 3:14 pm //

Maybe a these fellas should consider a Volvo. I hear they are safe.

75. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 3:27 pm //

Use your parade mode on the new models, just roll the throttle forward when you’re in traffic.

76. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 3:37 pm //

Funny how all the Harley haters come out to run their mouths. Talk shit all you want but to us that own them and not say i have a friend…Know your full of shit! Say what you want but you know your heart wanted the Harley but your wallet forced you to the Jap Junk or was it your wife?

77. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 3:47 pm //

Guess harley needs to educate every candy ass who buys a bike that it is equipped with an internal combustion engine that will get hot while running and will remain hot for a period of time after it is shut off…and as any human with common sense should know you don’t touch something that is hot. Or maybe a judge with some common sense will throw this bogus shit out of the courtroom.

78. Anonymous // May 18, 2016 at 4:00 pm //

Fuck you pussies and brave Harley bashers, wish it was in person and we would see who speaks up. Don’t ride a Harley if you’re pussied, get a Kia. These liberal fucktards have the nerve to take Harley to court, probably their first bike yuppie cunts. You know who they are, got the new Harley clothes, chain wallet, etc. They’ll get killed off anyway, Darwinism…

79. Until your tranny goes out. You’ll be looking for the line.

80. just trade the Harley in an by a Victory. Heat problem solved

81. After Fueling came out with a better oil pump than the one designed for the twin cam, Harley admitted that the current factory oil pump wasn’t large enough to keep it “as cool as it should be”. I’m sure this has something to do with the court case. I wouldn’t mind a cooler running engine but to say that they’ve only been hot since the twin cam came out… thats just BS.

82. 1st spend the money and take the EPA off your bike, Hell with em! Next, if it’s still a little to hot, lots of goodies out there to cool it down that are also easy to conceal, next RIDE!

83. Highway // May 18, 2016 at 6:04 pm //

Sure, they run hot. When the E.P.A. tells you to lean down the mixture this is what you get. Thank the Lib tree huggers in D.C.
    ’94 EVO
    ’03 Ultra ClaSSIC 88
    ’06 Ultra Classic 95

84. Well lets rank this right up there with the McDonalds lawsuit because the person burnt their lap when they spilled hot coffee in it. And said the cup did not tell them the coffee was hot. DUMBASS! Why do we keep awarding these whiny little bitches money because they don’t have the common sense to not touch something that is known to be hot! These stupid jerks are just seeking a payout from a large company so they can sit on their collective asses and not work. Give us something free they chant! Someone please go find common sense and wake it up and bring it back to our society. I blame the legal process for allowing this crap. Are the lawyers this desperate for cases to try that they alow this crap? When does it stop. Ok now I want you to all think about this carefully. Men go to the women’s bathroom and women go into the men’s and quietly reflect on this ok? Sounds stupid ey? Makes just about as much sense as this lawsuit. What the hell is happening to this country?

85. I get stuck sitting in traffic a lot. Lane splitting is not legal here, and my Road King is too wide to split lanes on most streets here anyway. I relocated my horn and put a cooling fan in its place. Heat problem solved.

86. Maybe someone should do the same with victory.motors run hot as and non stop gearbox problems.I have had two now with same gearbox issues.

87. Bahahaa I dated a red head in high school !!! Now that was HOT !!

88. Darrin Alsdorf // May 18, 2016 at 10:41 pm //

I’ve only been riding for 3 years and yes, I ride a Yamaha 06 Roadstar 1700. It’s air cooled just like a Harley. I have burned my rain gear but never my leg. Funny thing is, my leg got hot and I MOVED IT. These people needed to understand that what they are doing when riding is putting a small (forgive me for this, it’s just an analogy) car engine BETWEEN THEIR FREAKING LEGS. I have ridden a Harley and didn’t like it. The only Harley I hate is the attitude of “If it ain’t a Harley, it ain’t a real bike”.

89. Paul higley // May 18, 2016 at 11:21 pm //

I’ve got a 2001 softails duece twincam 88 I brought it in 2003 all I’ve ever done to it is change the cam chain tensioners,I fitted it with a hyper charger (carburetor model) Vance and Hines pipes. In 13 yrs I’ve never burnt my legs or clothing,who ever put this complaint in needs to get a life or drive a car.

90. blame it on epa, they run so hot because they run lean to satisfy epa standards, get a buddy at the dealer to to fatten up the computer or get a tuner and be done with it.

91. Former HD Owner // May 19, 2016 at 12:50 am //

Every few years, Harley takes the same 1980s paint-shaker engine and bores out the jugs for a sales gimmick. More displacement equals more heat. Other brands employ water cooling, ceramic cylinder linings, better oil coolers, larger oil pumps, and no silly cam and primary chains. Harley’s “Heritage” museum replica design is biting it in the @ss. Oh, and all the big talkers on this site: where is your bike when the temp is under 60? I ride daily and see NO Harleys until the sun is high.

92. Raymond Davis // May 19, 2016 at 12:59 am //

Harley forgot to put in the owners manual that you shouldn’t wear your high heels and hotpants while riding. I didn’t know metrosexuals were allowed to own Harleys .

93. Anonymous // May 19, 2016 at 1:01 am //

former HD owner…..My Harley is out any day it isn’t snowing !!!

94. Mike shanahan // May 19, 2016 at 1:43 am //

If you ride a 2 cylinder bike and complaining about the hot motors well you better never step up to a BOSS HOSS V8.

95. Anonymous // May 19, 2016 at 1:55 am //

Why not just outfit ’em with a cop fan.. It’ll keep it cooler at idle… Cry babies & dumbies……………………

96. I’m on my 4th harley and I’ve never burnt my legs. 92 sportster, 01 soft tail, 05 Electra Glide, 07 Electra Glide. Hmmmmm, operator error would be my guess.

97. Anonymous // May 19, 2016 at 4:10 am //

I’ve rode a lot of bikes over the years import and HD nothing gets as hot as the 07 Kawasaki 2000 Classic I have now. Even with the stage 1 and water cooled it still gets hotter than any HD I’ve ever been on. Yet the only burn I ever got I was in shorts with a broken leg trying to get on my bike like a moron. It’s not what you ride it’s that you ride. Ride safe everyone.

98. Anonymous // May 19, 2016 at 6:52 am //

Why don’t you metrosexual wana B little boys pull your balls out of your boyfriends purse and put em back where they belong! Or go buy a nice little water cooled rice burner and park it next to your Prius.

99. JANET KAMEN // May 19, 2016 at 8:09 am //

Omfg BITCHES!!! Im a chick with a 99 roadglide with screaming eagle heads and is running 95 instead of 88 ! I Also live in peoria az i ride my bike year round! If u can’t stand the heat go make me a sandwich wifey!!

100. Anonymous // May 19, 2016 at 11:28 am //

Seems were getting a little off track here. I personally can find something neat in design with anything two wheels and a motor, from moped and scooters to Harleys and Hondas. Fact is some money grumbing people found a way to sue a company because they found some law firm that thinks they can make millions over something so common sense. Remember the McDonald’s hot coffee idiot? Seems that instead of arguing at each other focus needs to be put on these idiots and the law firm that represents them.

101. I ride a Honda 1300vtx(water buffalo) and it gets very hot in traffic. Don’t tell these sissy’s to ride our bikes! These punks don’t need to be riding!

102. Carmine // May 19, 2016 at 2:04 pm //

Stupid should be painful

103. Years ago my wife burnt her arm on my shovel after we went for a ride. Course, I had her bent over the bike at the time, bangin her like a drum. Think I should sue?

104. I ride a stock 103 daily in Phoenix in the summer. If I can handle that, these candy asses can handle riding in Cali, where it’s cooler and they can lane split. Further, if the EPA didn’t require Harley to tune new motorcycles so lean, they wouldn’t run as hot.

105. cardboard // May 19, 2016 at 9:28 pm //

Guess you need to sell your Harley and stay off of them.
    I have been riding since 1964.
    You gonna have to learn how to ride a bike and learn how to get on and off.
    Guess you are gonna have to learn about the hot exhaust pipes and mufflers being hot next to your legs too.
    And not to ride with shorts.
    It takes proper riding gear when riding a Harley

106. Nick Vitone // May 19, 2016 at 10:30 pm //

Turn in your man cards cupcakes! It’s called proper riding attire.I wear knee-high riding boots. I did spot a clown once wearing men’s Capri’s and sandals on a heritage soft tail. When he pulled up next to me at the light,gave him the same advice.

107. When you buy a motorcycle and are told that it is air cooled that should tell you not to touch any part of the engine right after you turn it off or while you are riding it.

108. WOW Seriously???…….It’s Riders like that is why directions are needed on shampooo’iees. Training wheels? Roll Bars? How about Stickers that Say HOT when running???……..OR, A Smart Helmet for the Dummies in you!

Keep the Shiny side up!
    Brunswick_biker

109. Beth Reynolds Rossman // May 20, 2016 at 1:19 am //

I am a 43 year old female, I have rode Harleys for about 20 years. While I agree, they run hot. I have to say my current bike a 2010 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, (96 CI) runs extremely hot!! To the point that when I climb off of it, the inside of my leg is bright red. Due to the placement of the cat. converter, and the narrowing of the cross pipes. I had my bike tuned, new “open” air cleaner, full sac exhaust, and vance and hines pipes put on my bike to try to cool it down, has helped a little. No, I am not a candy ass pussy! I have ridden bikes longer then most dudes, and can ride better then most dudes. I have also owned several bikes (all HDs). I am simply pointing out that my Ultra Classic DOES run extremely hot!

110. Been riding since 60’s (early ) and bought a 2010 harley Wide Glide with 200 miles on it and trann went ou in 13,000! (3rd gear) put another gear cluster in and it lasted about 2000. Maybe bet
    ter go back to the older models!

111. Norma Smith // May 20, 2016 at 3:21 am //

I have a 2011 Softail Convertible CVO 110 cu in. It runs so hot that I have burned the inside of my legs. I now carry 2 hot pads which I hook together and lay across the seat. Not happy with the amount of heat from the engine. HD says “it’s the nature of the beast. I wish there was a fix for the heat problem.

112. Daleschneider // May 20, 2016 at 11:25 am //

I have a2010 SG and they all get hot I’ve had HARLEYS all my life and if you don’t stretch your leg out it will get hot,they are air cooled engines,so I guess you damn idiots didn’t do any research on the bikes,,go any buy a metric bike and shut the fuck up,I’m 100% sure that none of you are bikers ,just want to be able too say I ride a Harley

113. Grow up and be a man

114. Camey McAuley // May 20, 2016 at 12:57 pm //

i have been riding my 2010 Fatboy for 6 years and yes it gets very hot, when i stop for light or sign i have to change my stance when i pull in to park i have to get off of it right away, I love my bike but it fricken hot….. I am not a puss or have balls…

115. Frankel // May 20, 2016 at 4:32 pm //

“It gets HOT when we sit in twaffic. I burnded myself when I touched it!”
    Here’s your sign…………(B.E.)

116. I hope it didn’t burn his vagina

117. 07 dyna cvo the rear cylinder got so hot it melted the head,valves,and even the head of the sprark plug.Only 8300 miles. Took it to the Harley shop they wanted 9,000 dollars to fix.

118. I been riding HD’s for 30+ years, started with a 47 knuckle head, when to a 52 pan head, down sized for awhile and rode a 77 iron head, jumped up to a 85 evo softail, from there I bought a 00 twin cam flhtc, which I still ride to this day, I have 70,000 + miles and as with all bikes they need maintenance, parts wear out, etc. I don’t see any import bikes except maybe the aspencades that go into the 100K miles, most of those bike are sitting in garages with less than 30k on them, collecting dust. ALL HD’s get hot, it’s the nature of the beast, that’s why you see them taking the shoulder of the road when traffics at a stand still, it’s either that or shut them down…yes HD had to start turning them out running lean because of the EPA standards, it means they run hotter. That’s why they have now come out with the Wet Heads. My wife runs a Kawasaki Vulcan classic 1500, it’s liquid cooled, has a radiator, and it’s great for sitting in traffic, until the radiator fan kicks in and all that hot air is basting your legs and face, it’s like sitting in front of a blast furnace, so liquid cooled aren’t really any better as far as putting out heat. The freaking yahoos that are sue crazy, just plain old nubs that thought they’d be cool and own a Harley, these little piss ants think they should wear their shorts, flip flops, and wife beater T-shirts, and ride with out any concerns. These are the same punks that think it’s ok to ride one handed and talk on the cell phone with the other hand. Little yuppie pukes need to go back to driving the Miata’s with the rainbow on the back window, and leak the big boys toys to those how to use them.

119. Buy a Harley, buy the best. Ride a mile, walk the rest.

120. My wife rides an 03 1200 sportster with stright pipes it gets as hot as my 07 FLHT And she do whine.

121. My 02 Chief Delux burnt me right off the get/ go
    I took it as she “marked” me, never said a word about it
    I want to ride and I’ll take my burns like an adult

122. STEPHEN ROSE // May 21, 2016 at 12:20 am //

SO THIS IS WHATS ITS COME DOWN TOO ..OH POOR ME MY BIKE BURNT ME IM SUING …YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTER BURNS YOU DO YOU SUE BIC , YOUR CAR DOOR CATCHES A FINGER CLOSING IT DO YOU SUE THE CAR MAKER ,, YOU DONT LIKE GETTING BURNT GET RID OF THE BIKE ,,,YOUR ASS PROBABLY DIDNT BELONG ON IT THE FIRST PLACE …NOTHING BEATS THE BURNT ..ITS JUST YOUR BIKE EXPRESSING ITS LOVE FOR YOU …MAN UP OR WALK

123. St. Owen // May 21, 2016 at 2:19 am //

Owning a Harley makes you neither more nor less of a man. It does mean that you’re letting a name trump quality. Most Harley owners I know, their bikes are getting worked on and tinkered with more than they’re on the road. And revving the engine, waking the neighbors, just makes you an overcompensating spaz, who is so insecure of his manhood he’s got to use a bike to say “hey, look how cool >I< am.". How about getting a properly engineered bike instead of a loud bucket o' bolts that you paid three times as much for? Oh yeah, and put on a helmet or fill out an organ donor card. 😉

124. I heard they are also claiming that they chafe their vaginas.

125. Steven Wood // May 21, 2016 at 10:32 pm //

You have got to be kidding me. It’s like saying when l get my ice cream out of our freezer my hand gets cold. These guys are 4 yuppies that wants there money back so they can buy a Beamer. Hot by a fan.

126. Anonymous // May 22, 2016 at 9:14 am //

pussy mother fuckers my ironhead burns me at least once a week and will smoke anything you got

127. Tom Wilson // May 22, 2016 at 12:46 pm //

It’s funny to see all the people defending the fact that Harley has a poorly designed motor. Saying it’s the nature of the beast or suck it up its gonna happen. This coming lawsuit is because. It shouldn’t happen. Why the hell should anyone buy an over priced bike and get burned or have to install a fan to cool it. Harley should had already put a fan on it when they made the bike. You done see people getting burned on other bikes like they do on a Harley. If you feel that you should get burned when you ride. You need to realize that Harley knows they sold you junk and your telling them that it’s ok to sell you junk.

128. They should have” I am a PUSSY” tattooed on they’re foreheads.

129. Anonymous // May 22, 2016 at 5:12 pm //

Well if you stop were one shorts and a t to rode a bike and we’re the proper attire you wouldn’t get bird now would you dumbasses

130. cruisnlester // May 22, 2016 at 11:06 pm //

As a rider of air cooled v-twins, common sense says they all get hot, regardless of make and manufacturer. They all suck in gas and air, creating flaming explosions within the cylinders. All that heat has to go somewhere, and that is outward through the entire motor. If a person can’t figure this out, I suggest they look for another form of transportation. ID10T’s will sue over anything!

131. I have been riding 43 years I started out on HDs and bought some Japanese shit in between all of which has gas leak problems and bearing problems Trans problems then I woke up and bought an 09 HD with a 96 cu.in. 52000+ miles not a problem and very comfortable too !!!!

132. I spent an additional $2,000.00 to cool my 2008 Ultra down. It still runs very hot during summer riding.

133. Road rage out of Boston Beantown Massachusetts USA // May 23, 2016 at 2:54 pm //

AIR COOLED MOTOR, what part ofthat doesnt registerthey are aluminum air cool motors .jump up juda it must be me i am a 4th generation motorcycle rider and 45 years old built my first ass braken iron head at 19years of age and i watched it go from if you couldnt work onyour own bike you couldnt ride a harley to a check book and 15 miles now your a biker anyone who does this or complains about there motor being to hot to a law suit is a pussy ass bitch and should stay in a four wheeled can you make me sick money hungry scabs now watch how many asshats sign on this law suit what did you think would happen whith a bike that still runs on 200 year old tech it aint water cooled and it is all chromed looks great parked ride like you stole it till it brakes and fix it and shut up wine and peaches

134. Anonymous // May 24, 2016 at 1:50 am //

gay, they should get an adventure bike instead.

135. Unbelievable!Grow a set I say!!!

136. Anonymous // May 24, 2016 at 9:04 pm //

Internal combustion engine gets hot ?
    WOW !
    Who knew ?

137. Had to buy kuryakyn wings and a leather cooler fir my 2010 wide glide after I got a blister on my thighs. Happened a few times. The heat was crazy!! I’m on a 2014 Heritage with wings and cooler as well. Put thise on the day I brought her home but I tell ya it’s still pretty hot

138. Anonymous // May 25, 2016 at 4:26 pm //

These Assholes need to buy Can ams if they can’t handle a real bike !

139. Never a problem on my water cooled BMW. But my sportster is a hot bike to ride ,so I ride it in the winter.

140. Go ride your Vespas and air out your vaginas. Damn mama’s boys.I bet this is a spoof.

141. Mike Poirier // May 25, 2016 at 7:03 pm //

Just did a leg of The Run for The Wall (Monroe, LA to Meridian MS) on my 2014 Ultra Classic. 92 degrees outside and cruising down the highway (70mph) could not keep my right leg on the floorboard. Have the burn through my jeans when a cager decided to try and jump the formation and I had to lock her up. Oh well, after the warranty runs out I will gut the CAT and cool her down.

142. I have been riding for about 35 years. I currently own an 07 FXST I bought new and a 15 FLHTK I bought new. I did an Iron Butt from Juarez to Medicine Hat in 34 hours on the FXST. Was it hot? Yes. Was it fun? Yes. Have I ever burned my leg on it? Yes. Exposed exhaust will burn you. Work on a VW with an exposed engine thats air cooled and has been running. Will it burn you? Yes. If you do not know the dangers of internal combustion engines or the process in which heat is dissipated I suggest riding a dirt bike for a few years and learning how to walk it off rather than suing a company because their product is not giving you a participation trophy because you can ride a motorcycle that has a long history of riders who do not wish to conform to conventional rules.

143. What the hell are these guys wearing that they are complaining the engine gets hot enough to set clothing on fire? I wear denim jeans or leather chaps and have never had my pants burst into flames. Put the nylon track pants or lulu’s away while riding or welding….those synthetic fibers will catch fire real quick. I have a ’15 FLHXS after getting rid of my ’99XL and I guess they both ran kinda hot but I sort of expected them to. That’s what all them cooling fins are for…they dissipate heat. I don’t generally touch my engine while it’s running because I know it’s hot. Same as the one in my truck that has a big ol’ radiator and a fan. Internal cumbustion engines get hot. That is a fact. Just like anything else that has fire burning inside it. For the record don’t touch the wood stove either. It gets hot.

144. Slingshot // May 27, 2016 at 2:01 am //

Been ridin Harleys off and on for 45 yrs. There air cooled , at present I’m ridin a 2002 FLHTCI , with over 103,000Klm on the clock. Depending on ambient temperature and ridin speed , the rocker box can attain temperatures of over 500 degrees . If u can’t stand the heat off the engine , buy a Lambretta

145. Well a bunch of candy asses from California that cant ride a Harley, is anyone surprised? Weekend pansies that get in there biker costumes and ride a whole 500 miles a year. I don’t have one pair of pants that don’t have exhaust pipe burns on the right leg, go back to your Prius or go get a moped.

146. Triumph guy // May 28, 2016 at 2:14 am //

For goodness sake – D riders have been demanding more performance from the same poor old air cooled lump every year. There are a thousand liquid cooled alternatives if a hot engines an issue for you but they wont buy them because its not a real HD. Heck most wont even consider a street rod because its not a ‘proper’ air cooled HD… This is beyond weird… Mind you – don’t worry cos President Trump will fix it for you!

147. Boetech // May 28, 2016 at 3:36 am //

The sad part of all this is that if they win it will be the end of the Harley engine that have and love today. How many millions of people ride Harley’s with no complaint? Now a few idiots and lawyers have to f**k it up for all of us. Face it, after this all Harleys will be water cooled with 50 lbs of shrouds.

148. I have a Harley and a Liquid cooled bike. I prefer the Harley and I’ve owned more than 15 different bikes in my life. The fact is common sense just isn’t common. Everyone has a preference but idiots shouldn’t dictate what companies do because they are too stupid to operate a motocycle properly. Harley rank 5th in reliablilty among major manufacturers. Better than BMW, Ducati and Triumph. Don’t talk crap if you don’t know the facts. Some of us ride for the joy of riding not to try to look cool. Do us real riders a favor sell your bike and let the men, and women, that ride better than you have the road back. Fuckin’ Hipster Bitches need to stay in your fuckin’ low emission cages.

149. Squirrel // May 29, 2016 at 7:29 pm //

I’m going to talk “common sense” here (I think). Everybody here bitchin’ is a pussy. 1st, I’ve ridden motorcycles for 40 years, 26 of them on Harleys. I say if you ride a motorcycle, you’re a rider (scooters not counted). I personally choose Harleys, but that’s just my preference. I don’t put you down if you ride a Honda, Kawasaki, or whatever…its a personal preference. Has to do with the type of riding you’re into as well. If you like to race, stock from the company, get a Kawi, not a harley; if you’re never going to leave your little townb, don’t but a Gold Wing or Electraglide (Duh). BUT, to buy a bike and bitch…its too hot, it’s too big, it’s too small, it’s too red!!!. Why not bitch, “It’s too cold to ride in the winter in Alaska?” If you don’t like where you live….move. AND if you don’t like your bike, SELL IT! Maybe I’ll sue Macy’s because their clothes are too expensive!!!. Then don’t shop there! People should stop blaming others for their own mistakes in purchasing something that didn’t turn out the way they planned. I could keep going on and on but I guess I’ll stop by saying that everyone knows Harleys, Indians, and any other air cooled bikes run hot. “Gee, I’m sitting on top of a motor in August in the southeest…..I didn’t think k it would be hot!”

150. Anonymous // May 30, 2016 at 11:11 am //

All Harley has to do is make the damn things water cooled and be done with it.

151. I am most likely older than most of you commenting. I started riding when I was 20 and I am 69. This has mixed feelings for me. Harley has tried to eliminate the problem of the larger engines heating up too much several ways. They tried technology where the rear cylinder shuts down when you are stuck in traffic, circulating the oil through both to cool it some. They have installed heat shields, which are up by the crotch, but don’t do much for the legs. And, they have added some water cooling. None have been all that effective. Many say, well, of you don’t like it, go buy a water cooled bike made by another manufacturer. That certainly is one option. Many people are doing that. The hard corps riders will ride Harley no matter what invention comes out to improve riding. My engine crapped out on me at 60K and thankfully, I had an extended warranty. I have a new engine to replace the old one. I was told by the mechanic, that the oil pump was not functioning properly, but, that it had more to do with the size of my engine, and the add-ons that I put on it. I upgraded my 2009 from a 96 to a 103, added on 255 cams and a Harley Race Tuner. They did not change out the compensator, because they did not think at the time I bought it, that this was necessary, but, did so, when it failed because it was not large enough for the larger engine. They also said that they are now putting larger oil pumps on the larger engines and the oil pump that I had for the 96 did not circulate the oil as well, which eventually caused internal damage to my engine, which caused failure. The crankshaft also failed because the extra power caused damage. There were a lot of other issues. Harley is addressing them one by one as they put out newer bikes. However, the ones they sold still have problems and once the warranty expires, unless you have the extended warranty, you are out of luck. That is where I have mixed emotions. Harley is aware that there are problems with the engines as they go to larger and more powerful engines. They are attempting to address them, as they discover them. But, they are also trying to maintain the sound and look of Harley which attracted so many riders. That way, they don’t go to some of the newer more innovative things that could be added to make them safer, and less prone to failure. So, it is a balancing act. So far, Harley has been fairly successful at maintaining loyal Harley riders. Lately, they have been losing customers to some of the other companies that have addressed some of the concerns of Harley Riders, such as Indian, Victory, and other American Made bikes that many in clubs must ride. Should Harley be held accountable for defects that they have been aware of as customer complaints for several years. I will let the reader decide that. I had an extended warranty, luckily, and was able to get a new engine, including oil pump, crankshaft and flywheel. But, others whose warranty expired have not been so lucky. My personal view is that Harley should be held accountable for problems that they have known about and addressed, but, did not fix for the older bikes. But, that is up to the court to decide, riders opinions aside. I will continue to ride Harley’s because I like the look and sound of a Harley. And, I am aware of the inherent problems associated with riding one, including risking burns on my legs, overheating, etc. I adapt because I love Harley’s. But, holding them accountable for problems is another question for the legal beagles and above my pay grade!

152. I fully agree that these guys are dumb and need to stay in a cage. I just want to know if Harley looses and has to pay out how many of you yelling about these pussies will still take the money?

153. My local HD shops will not work on my 73 XLCH because there’s some S&S parts in it, the guy at the counter in Eau Claire said the shop even adds an extra charge to work on an Evolution engine, now that’s standing behind your product.

154. V-Twins have never been a good idea. They vibrate at an uneven pace, don’t cool efficiently and have the wrong center of balance. The only reason every manufacturer has gone with the design is because they all want to be Harley look alike copies.

1 Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. BREAKING: Harley Davidson Will Face Class Action Over Hot Engines!

Comments are closed.