California Court Sides With Bikers Burned by Their Twin Cam Harleys

Four bikers can move forward with a class action that claims Harley Davidson manufactured defective motorcycles that burn drivers’ legs, a federal judge ruled. the four bikers alleged that since 1999, Twin Cam engines in Harley motorcycles were prone to overheating and caused burn injuries to their legs. Transmissions on models manufactured since 2006 also came with defective transmissions, the bikers claimed. District Judge John Mendez sided with the bikers on their claims for fraudulent and unfair business practices, violations of Consumers Legal Remedies Act (CLRA), and unjust enrichment.

“Plaintiffs sufficiently allege that the engine defect is material because a reasonable consumer would change his behavior if he knew that the engine heat can cause burns and that the transmission would require numerous repairs or replacements,” Mendez wrote. “Plaintiffs claim that defendant knew of the excessive engine heat defect as early as 1999 and of the transmission defect as early as 2006,” the July 21 decision states. “Plaintiffs discovered the excessive heat and transmission defects after purchasing the motorcycles. Since defendant was in a superior position to know of its defective engines, plaintiffs properly allege that defendant had exclusive knowledge of material facts not known to plaintiffs.”

19 Comments on California Court Sides With Bikers Burned by Their Twin Cam Harleys

1. Anonymous // May 13, 2016 at 12:42 am //

Funny, my bike has 176,000 miles and I’ve never gotten burned. Maybe it’s because I’m not a pussy who wants to sue everyone.

2. Peter Kennedy // May 13, 2016 at 1:42 am //

harley has gone downhill for years. They have put Money and profit and the sale of useless junk in their Boutiques above customers and safety. i have taken to only buying Shovelheads (3) and early evo,s (2) and would never own a Twin(Twin Cam) if it was the last bike on earth. No wonder Harley is no longer the number one bike. The power hungry and greedy owners have trashed it and it’s reputation.

3. I’ve got 3 Harleys in my garage 97 Soft tail, 05 Super,12 ultra. All put of heat is a motor between your legs. No transmission problems. Yeah heat but that’s why they made shields. Stop bitching about it or go buy a rocket or something.

4. Harleys normal operating Temps on engines are 285 degrees. If you have a sportster they are 325 degrees. These guys who are trying to sue harley should be strung up and thrown to the dogs. They should never be on any motorcycle. Let alone the brand that has fed thousands of Americans for over 100 years. RUBs….. rich urban bikers. Pathetic. You should be ashamed to call yourselves American.

5. I own 3 harleys 05 fatboy 06 fatboy 04 roadking i have never been burned on my legs.because i wear jeans or my riding pants you have to use common sense.only a idiot wheres shorts on a bike. I mean come on road rash is real

6. Simon Blake // May 13, 2016 at 2:46 pm //

I think this is ridiculous. I have a 2001 Superglide T-Sport and I’ve never felt much heat coming off the engine. It’s certainly much less than most liquid cooled Japanese and European sport touring bikes. Obviously if you touch the engine with your hand or leg while it’s running it’s going to be hot. Duh!
    One of the first things I noted when I first bought my twin cam was that it cooled down much quicker than most bikes due to the ample cylinder and head finning. If you go into a restaurant for an hour, for example, when you come out the engine is stone cold and you need the choke to start it.

7. Been riding my 05 HD since I bought it new,80000 miles, 0 problems.

8. Oliver Wade // May 13, 2016 at 9:54 pm //

He got blisters in his pussy…?

9. Guy wills // May 14, 2016 at 11:21 am //

Own a 2000 flhtcui with 225,000 miles on it. Yes it use to run hot, but in traffic I would click it off not sit there revving it. The transmission had the plastic races in the countershaft bearing come apart at 180,000 miles or so. Fish was easy, a Baker 6speed. Been riding Harleys since 1969 and will continue, I have found the fine tuning needs to be done by the rider. All bikes have their problems, I like my Harleys

10. Anonymous // May 15, 2016 at 1:57 pm //

No problems with my twin cam

11. EdwardBlankenship // May 15, 2016 at 4:09 pm //

I bought my 2006 softail new and have over 80.000 miles on her and have had no problems other than stupid people on the roads!

12. Kathleen Davis // May 18, 2016 at 11:59 pm //

I have a 2009 Softail deluxe with duel pipes. Left pipe gets really really hot on my left leg so I make sure to stay clear or wear my Kevlar jeans! I also installed a heat shield but it’s not helping my leg issue. I just deal with it! Traffic in Los Angeles can be a bitch, I just have to keep moving is all!

13. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on card transfer balances.

Regards

14. Ride and shut the fuck up girly men. If you have tools fix the problem yourself don’t go crying and wimping off to somebody else.
    It’s not that bad you just need some free money

15. Anonymous // May 27, 2016 at 2:49 pm //

That’s what is wrong with this country every one wants to sue every one and everything and get rich with out having to work for it and are government all the way to mayors of small towns are all corrupt and with more laws that we don’t need just to make money. The land of free is going away we need it back

16. William Laffoon // May 28, 2016 at 7:09 am //

Tim, you made the comment, “It’s not that bad you just need some free money.” Have you forgotten? they bought a Harley… There is no free money.

17. Anonymous // May 28, 2016 at 10:58 am //

The late-model Twin-Cams run extremely hot. Much hotter than what any reasonable person would find acceptable.
    If Harley’s products cannot be used in a safe fashion as delivered from the factory, then they need to correct that.
    It is not the consumer’s responsibility to modify or alter the bike at his own expense just so he can reasonably use it.
    Every other bike manufacturer in the world has figured it out…which only shows that Harley has no real interest in making its products competitive.

18. Sally Broce // May 29, 2016 at 1:51 am //

Maybe if he put some damn pants on, he wouldn’t get burned. Dumb shits out riding bikes in their shorts and flip-flops! WTF do they expect?!

19. Buckshot // May 31, 2016 at 7:16 pm //

I’ve been riding since 1965, and have owned 2 Harley Panheads, 4 or 5 Shovelheads, (and have one now,)an Evolution, and a Twin Cam. The Twin Cam has about 60k on it, and is the best, most dependable engine, performance-wise, that Harley ever built. If you know your air-cooled engine will overheat in stopped traffic, you take steps to avoid that situation. Honda makes lots of liquid cooled motorcycles, and they’re excellent for keeping pussified litigious assholes like these 4 off of Harleys.

Comments are closed.